AGC | Research Scientist – Advanced Materials Development, Ypsilanti, MI
AGC Automotive Americas (AGCAA) is a leading supplier of automotive glazing for the OEM and aftermarket industries and is part of the AGC Group, the largest global glass supplier employing more than 50,000 worldwide in approximately 30 countries.
AGC Automotive Americas R&D, a global leader in glass and glazing Research and Development has an exciting opportunity available for a Research Scientist in Ypsilanti, MI. The prospective candidate must be professional, self-motivated, highly organized, possess excellent communication and leadership skills, capable of completing objectives with minimal supervision, possess a positive attitude, and a willingness for travel (domestic and international). This individual will be part of the team which is responsible for interfacing with the customers (internal and external) with regard to analysis and testing results.
- Assure that all duties and responsibilities are accomplished
- Develop project roadmaps and work on multiple R&D projects and activities for glass and glazing products, services and applications, in parallel
- Participate/contribute to the concept, design, and development of new materials and processes within a project team
- Apply critical thinking and statistical methods in data analysis to determine the next step of R&D project
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative chemical analyses or experiments in laboratories for quality or process control or to develop new products or knowledge
- Participate in, coordinate, and/or expected to lead AVO (Added Value Operations) projects as assigned
- Obtain, review, and interpret production schedules, engineering/customer specifications, orders, and related information
- Provide technical expertise to cross-functional teams
- Troubleshoot new or existing product problems involving designs, materials, or processes
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with outside labs, customers, and material and equipment suppliers
- Identify opportunities or implement changes to improve products or reduce costs
- Review research, testing, quality control and other operational reports
- Assists in related intellectual property protection process
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in chemistry, Physics, Material science, related engineering discipline or equivalent
- 3+ years R&D projects in industry, chemical or automotive preferred
- Demonstrated ability to apply critical thinking/ problem-solving methods
- Familiarity with optical, environmental, chemical and mechanical test methods, equipment and instrumentation
- Knowledge of applied industrial statistics, data compiling and analysis techniques, reliability engineering principles and methods and accelerated life testing principles and methods
- Ability to prepare and present technical reports that are understood by technical and non-technical audiences, at all levels
- Applied use of Stage Gate approach from R&D through mass production
- Applied knowledge of customer specifications
- Demonstrated the flexibility and ability to balance role as R&D project contributor and firefighter for manufacture firefighting, i.e. Adaptable, driven, consistent, collaborative, learner, listener, coach, etc.
We offer a competitive compensation package including base salary, structured bonus plan, comprehensive benefits and opportunities for career advancement.
Please include salary requirements in a cover letter.
Equal Opportunity Employer – To be considered applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.