AGC | R&D Engineer, Optics, Ypsilanti, MI
AGC Automotive Americas (AGCAA) is a leading supplier of automotive glazing for the OEM and aftermarket industries and is part of the AGC Group, the largest global glass supplier employing more than 50,000 worldwide in approximately 30 countries.
AGC Automotive Americas – R&D Inc. has an opening for an R&D Engineer in Ypsilanti, MI. This individual will be part of team responsible for identifying, proposing, and implementing a variety of new technology and/or applications of existing technology (optical and non-optical) to improve organizational and functional growth.
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Conceive, design, and develop innovative new and improved optical and non-optical products based on strategic organizational goals, including evaluation for technical feasibility and return
- Manage R&D project activities from idea through mass production
- Conduct and evaluate test and research data to propose and develop improved and or new innovative glass concepts, products, processes and/or equipment using research theories, lab equipment, and learned engineering principles
- Lead the design and development of new products; provides leadership in design analysis and validation; beginning with idea through mass production
- Implements, monitors, and reports results of research activities and testing
- Ensure quality in a product’s design for usability, reliability, functionality, marketability, and manufacturability
- Prepare technical reports and presentations suitable for technical and non-technical audiences
- Collaborate with internal and external engineering and related groups
- Designs and installs fixtures and equipment needed to carry out testing and development activities
- Understand manufacturing process for assigned AGC products
- Apply research theories, engineering principles and experience to propose solutions to safety, environmental, R&D, and manufacturing challenges for glass product/process
- B.S./B.A. in Engineering discipline or equivalent
- 2-4 years of experience working with development, product testing procedures and validation
- Must have basic understanding of the propagation of light, geometrical optics, and polarization
- Must have working understanding of Image Acquisition Systems including cameras and software
- Working knowledge of principals of statistical analysis of data
- Working knowledge and experience in each stage of the Stage Gate or similar methodology
- Project Management experience managing multiple projects / project activities in parallel
- Skilled at problem solving techniques, evaluation and application
- Working knowledge and experience with GD&T, DFMEA, PFMEA, Process Flows, and Control Plans
- Ability to provide technical input into the design, layout, construction, testing use and procurement of materials and equipment being or to be used
- Ability to demonstrate collaborative approach to learning and performing
- Ability to organize and deliver clear oral, written and graphical communication; using a story board approach, in an international business environment
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally on short notice (up to 35%) by car and air
We offer a competitive compensation package including base salary, structured bonus plan, comprehensive benefits and opportunities for career advancement.
Please include salary requirements in a cover letter.
Equal Opportunity Employer – To be considered applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.